3 New Must-Have Vision Screening Resources for Schools
The American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS), has partnered with the National Association of School Nurses (NASN) to develop resources to promote vision screening and to disseminate information about common eye diseases in children. A number of exciting new resources are now available as a result of this partnership including a tutorial DVD and an easy-to-use, portable vision screening kit for near and distance visual acuity.
School Nurse Vision Screening Tutorial DVD
Kathy Lee, MD, PhD, a pediatric ophthalmologist practicing in Idaho, created a School Nurse Vision Screening tutorial DVD as a project for the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Leadership Development Program.
The School Nurse Vision Screening Tutorial DVD covers the following topics:
- Rationale for effective school vision screening
- Information regarding refractive errors, amblyopia, and strabismus
- Elements of a successful screening program
- Pearls and pitfalls of traditional vision screening
- Examples of preferred and non-preferred charts
- Demonstration of the proper use of objective vision screening devices (i.e., photorefractors)
- Presentation of other elements of vision screening, including color, stereoacuity, and near vision
- Effective screening of children with disabilities
Watch Susan Proctor, RN, DNS (PhD), author of To See or Not To See in the video clip below!
To preview additional tutorials online, go to:
New Portable Vision Screening Kit for Schools
To support the video, AAPOS, Good-Lite, and School Health entered into a formal agreement to distribute the School Nurse Vision Screening Tutorial DVD within a new vision screening kit that includes eye charts for conducting near and distance visual acuity screening with children from preschool age through senior high.
The kit experienced incredible success at its debut at NASN 2011 in Washington, D.C. All 200 kits that were shipped to the booth were sold to nurses attending lectures given by AAPOS and vision screening expert P. Kay Nottingham Chaplin, Ed.D. Additional nurses signed up to have a kit shipped to them after the conference.
The kit includes a bag for lightweight, portable transportation and these items:
- School Nurse Vision Screening Tutorial DVD
- 4 double-sided distance charts* in one spiral-bound booklet
- 4 double-sided near charts* in a separate spiral-bound booklet
- Response panel and individual cards for matching
- Occluder glasses
*Optotypes used in charts are LEA Symbols, LEA Numbers, HOTV, and Sloan Letters.
For more information on the kit, go to www.schoolhealth.com/visionkit
Download Vision Screening Presentations from NASN
You can download a free copy of Dr. Kathy Lee's Powerpoint presentation from the NASN 2010 conference, titled Efficient and Effective School Vision Screening. It is available, along with many other resources mentioned above at this AAPOS landing page:
To those of you who received a kit during or after the NASN 2011 conference, please post a comment or e-mail our Vision Screening Expert, Dr. Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts about the DVD and eye charts.